Sunday, March 21, 2010

In a letter I received from Elsie Dodd - October 14, 1987

In a letter that I received from Elsie Dodd, mom's sister who married Woodrow Philip Dodd (known as Woody) on October 14, 1987.

In the letter she references:
1. What happened to the family in 1927?
2. Mom, her and Bill living with the grandparents
3. The Log Cabin Hotel in Bascom, Ohio
4. Alice Jane (Paden) Starzman - a cousin who would have been about eight years older than my mom.
5. How and where Etta Paden met David Coppus
6. Mom's condition while visiting her in Hawaii.
7. Etta Paden's brothers and sisters
8. How she learned about the history of the Paden family and it's Irish connection
9. How Etta may have been married to another Paden relative when she married James V. Cook
10. Living in Hawaii and the cane fires.








The letter is as follows:

Oct 14, 1987

Dear Bob -
Since your letter arrived I have been trying to remember things from my childhood that might apply to a geneology of the Paden ancestors, any of these things could not be looked up bby facts that I know of. When my mother left my father for another married man ending in divorce between my father and mother (1927?), your mother Mildred, Bill, and I were left in the care of Grandma and Grandpa Paden while our mother persued a career in nursing at the State (Mental) Hospital in Toledo. If the divorce ocurred in 1927, I was 10 years old in May of '27, your mom 12 yrs old in Oct, and Bill 4 yrs old in April of that year. I can remember Grandpa with a head of pure white hair (have been told it was brilliant red when he was younger) a bulb of a nose like W.C. Fields and a wonderful cook - he made the most delicious Beef pot roast with loads of brown gravy in a three legged iron pot on the top of the stove. Many many years later I found out that he had once operated a travel lodge in Bascom where people stayed over night and he prepared and stewed meals. That log cabin house to the best of my knowledge is still standing on the Main Street of Bascom, half way between Fostoria and Tiffin. Grandma Paden was a very quiet and very sweet tiny lady. She was more religious and Grandpa once remarked if he ever went to a church, it would have to be a round church so the devil couldn't corner him. Alice (Paden) Startzman lived with Grandma and Grandpa as her parents were dead. It must have been when they lived in Bascom that mother met my father. I can remember things so vividly of our life on the farm and wanted so badly for Mildred to stay with me longer this summer so that just the two of us could relive those memories but she was afraid Mary was leaving her with me for good on the side of a mountain that would tumble down. Your mom would be so dazed when she got up each morning, we would have breakfast and while Mary and I yak-yaked at the table she would disappear and we would find her back in bed sleeping. So our sight seeing was limited to after noons and conversations late afternoons and early evenings when I could finally get Mildred to talk and we managed a few good laughs between the two of us. Mary & I both came to the conclusion that the medication they were giving her was just keeping her doped up. I wonder if that is the way to keep these people in retirement homes to be less troublesome?? What a way to live!!
I sure wandered from a geneology - The aunts and uncles I can remember
Families
Frank Paden - North Baltimore, Ohio I think he worked for the railroad, perhaps Station Manager. One of his daughters married a Paul (?) Day.
George Paden - New Reigle, Ohio Can remember 1 son (a spoiled brat?)
Elsie Paden Melroy - 2 sons, Rich (deceased) and Scott lives in Toledo
Etta Paden Coppus Cook -
? Paden - Alic Paden Startzman Father. and a brother
One more thing is hearing of a Paden's Landing on the Ohio River which is now shown as Paden City in the Atlas. This was Grandpa Paden's brother and they ferried people, Freight, etc. across the River. I have discussed this with Mary and she says it is close to Marietta where her Bob comes from.
I would suggest you write to Louis Startzman, 30 Wentz St. Tiffin, Ohio 44883. Louie & Allice have only 1 child, Eugene who lives in Berea, Kentucky. Our last visit (Sue & I) to Ohio we visited Alice & Louie for lunch and Alice got out albums to show us but when you are traveling on a light schedule with a bored teen ager you are not able to concentrate on family history. Louie is retired, has a heart condition but is still quite active, belongs to a Bridge Club so think you could get a lot of information from him or he could give you Gene's address in Berea. I think Gene is working at Berea College (?) Teacher, Professor ??
It was Sept 5th when the last visitors left Maui - this seemed to be the year for traveling - and I enjoyed all and everyone but was pretty tired by the end and picked up a virus going around that took 4 weeks before I finally felt back to normal. then I decided to go back to school to update my credibility as a tax consultant, was ready to sign up until I found out that you had to start with everyone else at the bottom ( all I wanted was a course in the 1986 Tax Laws) with a price of $250.00 plus. A waste of time and money so I went back to the book stores - found a paperbook on the "The New Tax Law" for $3.95 less a 15% Senior Citizen discount so when your letter arrived my spare time was being spent devouring the book. What help could I give you were my thoughts! I had read in the paper a couple years ago that a Sue Paden had graduated from St. Anthony's High School and thought some day I would like to call to see if we were related in any way but never was bored enough to make the call - always something happening to in Waikapu. After your letter arrived I did make the phone call and it is providing some interesting research reading.
Chuck Paden and his wife Sue spent Sunday afternoons here at my house. He claims they are originally Scotch that for some reason were moved to Ireland before emigrating to America. The original name was Peden and he has loaned me a book given to him by his father before his death - a 654 page well bound book titled "The Pedens of America" an outline of history of the ancestry and descendents of John Peden and Margaret McDill Peden. Scotland - Ireland - America. Copy right 1961. Printed by Hiott Press, Greenville, S. Carolina. Copyright 1961 by Jessie Peden, Lizzie Peden and Lila Peden Sprouse. Library of Congress Catalog Number 60-13366. Dedicated 1900 to Capitain David Dantzler Peden, acknowledged and venerated chief of the American Pedens with whom originated the idea of a family book and through whose generosity it is now presented to the Pedens of America. Dedicated in 1960 affectionately and respectfully by the authors to James Marvin Peden - Chief of the Pedens of America to all future chiefs of this clan.
1768-1900 Eleanor M. Hewell - House of David
1900-1960 Jessie Peden, Lizzie Peden and Lila Peden
Spouse - House of Alexander. The above is all from the fly leaves of the book - next comes "Contents", "Illustrations", and finally the "Introduction" which I assume is page 1 as "Ancestral Pride" starts on Page 3. At this point I have gotten as far as the page of "Contents." There are 10 different Houes ie. House of Mary, James, Jane, Thomas, etc. etc.
Chuck Paden told me he would loan me the book but if my house caught fire let the house burn down but save his book! How's that for Irish humor? He has never found the time to find out which Houses of the clan he belongs to so he asked if I would also see if I can find out anything about his relatives.
In just glancing thru the index I found a James Vernon Cook listed and I am wondering if my mother married a relative when she bcame Mrs. James V. Cook. Good thing she was past child-bearing age.
In chatting with Chuck Padens on Sunday he commented that cousins married cousins and said he had a distant relative who was a horse thief and disowned. Now we must be related to that clan or there were a lot of house thiefs in those times as I had heard the same thing. I told him that for many years I wouldn't even admit to anyone that I was part Irish for I didn't know if I was "Lace Curtain Irish" or "Shanty Irish."
Everyone here is fine. Talked by phone with Mary & Bob twice since they returned from the Reunion. They plan to come for a weekend probably after Thanksgiving. I am very fond of both and they know they are welcome anytime.
Weather here still around a high of 90 everyday and they are burning cane in Waikapu for 10 days ending Oct. 20. Have to close all doors and windows until the air clears as that is where we get our ventlation so I have been sitting here for 10 minutes with a terrific head ache and the perspiration rocling. At least when this crop is gone they are going into Pineapple so we will have no more cane fires in this area, only pineapple bugs but then there are drawbacks to living in Paradise.
Loads of Aloha to all
Aunt Elsie
P.S. I will keep you informed if I am able to find any information in the book. Wish me luck as I know this will be 654 pages of "Heavy Reading." You are probably feeling the same way after this long letter. Nothing wrong with the pen - just grease from my hand - It is so hot - the air is clearing and I must get the windows open!

No comments:

Post a Comment