Sunday, March 21, 2010

In the box of letters - Letters from Mom to Dad Aug. 7, 1930

In the letter mom talks about what she has been doing and with whom she was with. She tells a funny story about Bill, but I can’t believe it was her bother Bill since he was only nine years old. But then when you hear about everything she was doing and the fact that she was only fifteen, that’s pretty amazing too.

She talks about Norman, and in the story you will see that there are two Normans – dad’s brother who is otherwise known as Junior and their father Norman Sr.

Other characters in the story are Elsie – mom’s sister and Alton – dad’s brother.

The purpose of dad being in Orient South Dakota is also revealed – he was there working on a threshing crew, working twelve and one half hours a day in the August heat – doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun to me.









Following, you will find the typed letter:
1714 Berkshire Pl
Toledo, Ohio
Aug 7, 1930
3:15 p.m.

Dear John,
Received your letter to-day and I was expecting it, too. It seemed as if the mailman never would come!
Gee, it sure is hot here to-day. It hasn't rained but once since I came home and that was but a shower. Everything is nearly ruined from the heat around hear. They have put a ban on sprinkling for the last month on-account-of the fire hazard in Toledo.
Gee, do I only wish you were in Toledo to go swimming with us? We went last Sunday this Monday and last evening. Sunday, Norman went with us and last evening he went. We sure do have fun. Blair and Norman dive over my head and usually manage to "duck" me while going over. I guess we all get our amount of "duckings," though.
I guess you got the wrong interpretation of what I meant when I said Bill's dad "kicked" him out. He hadn't been doing anything but laying around the house. So one morning his dad told him to get out and hunt some work. But I' guess he wasn't successful about all he can do is go to the show and push up "girlfriends". You might know the kind of girls they are. Norman doesn't care so very much for Bill since he's learnt what he's turned out to be.
As Norman told you, we built a golf course and have had lots of fun with it, even to the sunburn we got. We made it so uneven you can hardly make a hole in less than six shots and your good if you make the first in less than twenty!
To stand the heat now a days you're doing good but to thresh twelve and a half hours a day! Gee, I don't see how you do it.
Roger's is coming home Sunday and you can bet we'll all be glad! Ha! Ha!
I and the cat had a fight last Sunday morning and I guess I got the worst end of it. But 'twas all because I needed it. I was teasing her while she was sleeping.
The first night Norman went swimming, I called up your house and asked for Norman. Alton had answered the telephone and I forgot your dad's name was Norman, too. So when I asked for Norman, Alton called your dad, I told him I wanted "Junior." Now wouldn't your mother been under my hide if I had taken your dad along swimming. Ha! Ha!
Well, as I must be getting some ice tea made for supper, I will close.
Love and kisses,
Mildred
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment