Tuesday, March 9, 2010


Etta (Paden) (Coppus) Cook was my grandmother (my mother's mother). She always enjoyed the outdoors and hunting. This is one of her kills. Pat tells me about a picture that she has seen that shows Grandma Cook in a similar pose, but this time with a bear. She writes "There is one picture that I am looking for, so if you come across it, would you send me a jpg of it. The picture is of Grandma Coppus standing over a bear that is strapped across the hood of her car. You will know it when you see it. I had found it and had it printed for Tim about 20 years ago, but never got to going back through the slides to find it again. I would like to print it for Megan and Kait, to let them know that they come from a long line of strong if not crazy women."
Well I have not yet come across this picture yet, but when I do I will be sure to pass it along. But there are some things that stay with you. I will always remember when she (Grandma Cook) brought some bear meat to our home in Metamora on one of her visits and this must have been the bear that Pat saw in the photo. It was cooked and we attempted to eat it. It was like eating a candle - the inside of your mouth was totally coated with tallow. As you might expect I do not have a taste for bear meat to this day.
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment